Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gearing up to a new book

I have been in a rather addictive frenzy of late re-reading my Meredith Gentry Fairy Princess novels by Laurell K Hamilton. I could barely put them down and sometimes my eyes burned or my wrists hurt from holding the book in certain positions for too long. Now, I think that borders on addiction, eh? Especially since I read them all over a year ago. Anywho, I only own the first 4 books and the 5th and 6th books are missing from the library so I picked up a book a friend mailed me. Did I mention I plowed through all 4 books in less than 2 weeks? I think I needed a pick-me-up after reading 'Cold Mountain' and 'The Mermaid's Chair.'

Starting to read this new book, 'Interworld', was kind of awkward, but in a good way. You can read a certain author for a while and then when you pick up a new book, those first few chapters feel like you are driving a car you have never driven before and you haven't even been driving for a few months. It feels like that. The style is so different. The story so different. It is kind of fun. You can feel the gears in your brain being jolted and shifted to take in the new style of writing.

In other news, I am doing some serious purging and cleaning around the house. It has been slow at work so I have been working 8 hour shifts instead of 12 and this past Wednesday they asked if I would be willing to stay home and just take a vacation day. I guess people aren't that sick during the summer. So, I went through all my binders and stuff I had used for school the past few years and purged a ton. I filled our paper recycling bin (it is an huge bin, by the way) to about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Then, I felt compelled to clean the inside, outside and underneath-side of the fridge which blossomed into mopping the floors. I mowed the backyard, trimmed the trees and did some sweeping. I did laundry, and other chores. During all this and more manual labor around the house, I starting scheming about how I could afford to have a housekeeper come to my house 2 times a month to do the hard core cleaning. I'll keep you posted on those plans.

I want to go to 1/2 priced books this week and not just to try and sell some books. I want that 5th and 6th Hamilton book. I almost think I should be banned from those books for awhile. ;)

No comments: