Sunday, August 5, 2007

I can't believe I am doing this

I am selling Inky. Who is Inky? He is a 1978 Super Beetle Convertible that I bought in 1999. Every since I was a kid, I loved the VW Bug. On old family friend, who I referred to as my Grandpa growing up, owned an used car lot near our place. I would just love to play in the VW Bugs on his lot. When I went away to college my mom sent me a care package. In that care package was a small scale model of a 1978 white convertible super beetle with a $20 bill wedged in the trunk. Later, my miniature car collection of various VW Bugs increased to about 12 that filled the shelves of my cubicle and office at work.

Then in 1999, I had some extra money and I started shopping and eventually bought Inky. He was named this by a good friend. She said it was due to his color. Sometimes I would start to call him Stinky Inky, but it was always with affection.

Since I bought him, I have learned to do some minor maintenance myself, like oil changes, points adjustment and timing belt. I think one year though, I almost reached my max on AAA free tows.

Driving the car most days is like the best anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, anti-stress drug in the world. During the day, the sun warms you and wind flows by and in the background is the purr of the engine. At night, the stars twinkle and the crips air blows around. Ah, it is wonderful. Maybe I should record that before I sell it for good.

So, why am I selling it? My practical nature is winning me over. To make this car the way I truly want it, I would have to probably spend another $5000. My practical nature just can't let me spend that kind of money on a car for restoration purposes. Maybe, if there was no college fun to worry about, or house projects on the list or retirement savings to think about....maybe I could let myself spend the money. Maybe.... Then of course, there is the issue of safety, especially since we have a young one in the family.
So with deep regret, Inky is for sale.

2 comments:

Bluey's Mom said...

*sniff* gonna miss Inky.

Newt said...

Wow, I'm speechless........