Thursday, May 10, 2007

"I'm not cute....."

When I became a mom, I thought like many new moms do, that I would want her to have an even better life than me and hopefully be a better person for it. One thing I struggle with is her having strong self-confidence and self-esteem. Things I am lacking in.

Last year when Grandma was visiting she was teaching my daughter to accept compliments. Grandma would say, "You're such a pretty girl" and she wouldn't know what to say to that. Grandma said, "You say 'Thank you.' "

Yesterday I was admiring the fashion-plate that is my daughter. We got back from a long day at the beach and she decided she wanted to change clothes; Pale pink jeans, darker peachy pink long sleeve sparkly butterfly shirt with a mint green short sleeve shirt over that (It had pink and sparkly cupcakes on it so she had to have it on also, the more sparkle the better.), a pink baseball cap with more butterflies and flip-flops. I guess I should have taken a picture.

So, I say to her, "You are cute." She looks kind of shy and doesn't say anything. I said, "Didn't Grandma say you were supposed to say 'Thank you' when someone says that?"

She gets this sassy look on her face like she is going to gave me the two-snaps and a neck swivel and says, "I'm not cute. I am beautiful!"

So, what can you say to that? Self-esteem issues? I think not.

1 comment:

Newt said...

I wish we could spen more time with that kid of yours, she's amazing. Ok,, we also wish we could spend more time with you.