Monday, October 27, 2008

In God We Trust?

Over the last few years, it seems like the Christian-based religious groups in this country are gaining too much power. It really raises the hackles of my strict Constitutionalism beliefs. People came to this country for freedom. Freedom from oppressive regimes, from religious persecution, poverty, etc. The founding fathers made sure that our rights would be guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. They explained how there should be a separation of Church and State. I love that history. I love our roots. People come to our country now because of that, claiming asylum from persecution from another country and we take them in.

What I fear though is that we maybe slowly slipping into more of a religious state as the religious groups gain more political power and have their views legislated, placed in state constitutions and sometimes brought to the Supreme Court.

The latest thing to really get my goat is Proposition 8 in California. It is a proposition to add an amendment to the state's constitution that defines marriage as only between a man and a woman, thus negating all the same-sex marriages performed in this state. If you listen to the people for this proposition, they are essentially arguing for the state constitution to back-up their religious beliefs. I do respect their religious beliefs, but I have a HUGE problem with them wanting the government to support their beliefs and make them law. It is just another step closer to a religious state. The part that really makes me even more upset, is that legislation like this has been passed already in 29 of our other states! Don't people realize what this is doing? We are legislating religion into our government and limiting the rights of our citizens. I just want to scream it from the rooftops at the injustice of it.

Of course, don't get me started on the "In God We Trust" on the money (For some history on that go here). Or prayer in schools. Or putting "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I had hoped if I ranted a little about it, I would feel better, but I am still steamed. I have run into people this past week that think Prop 8 is about teaching homosexuality and same sex marriages in school. As far as I know, marriages of any kind are not part of the standard curriculum. I don't even want to know what my blood pressure is like right now.

No comments: