Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All grown up now

I am in a bit a of a dilemma. My 4 yr old daughter will be turning 5 soon and she thinks that makes her all grown up and that she doesn't need any toys anymore. Several times over the past couple weeks, she keeps telling me she wants to get rid of all her toys because when she is 5 she won't need toys anymore. She wants to give them to someone else to play with. She doesn't even want her dress-up clothes anymore.

We have asked her many times, "Are you sure?" "What about when your friends come over, what are you going to play if you have no toys?" "Do you want anything for your birthday?"

She says, "No, I don't want anything. I just don't want my toys anymore." She did say she wants to keep all her books because when she learns how to read in Kindergarten, she wants to read her books all by herself.

So, I am thinking if this continues one for another week, I will enter her room with bags and boxes and help her get rid of toys. Any thoughts on that? I am thinking I may store a couple of special toys for when she is older, but I can't believe she doesn't want any toys?!?

2 comments:

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Well are all the toys gone or did she give up on that? I think its a phase that could be costly to you.. when she decided she DOES want toys..??

Abbee Normalle said...

we thinned out maybe a few things but she quickly changed her tune to wanting to keep her toys in case certain friends came over.