Monday, September 24, 2007

Ahhh...a nice refreshing rain at last

Yeah! It rained. It was cold and wet. Something that hasn't been the case for months, unless you count some foggy mornings around here. Fall is here. Of course, the daughter kept asking why is it raining all the time and how come it won't stop, and how come the rain is following her and how come the water moves like that on the car window. . . endless questions.

I was having on of those thoughts today as I was zoning out to HGTV. I was wondering what someone from another country would think of our obsession of remodeling our houses and accessorizing pillows to draw out the accent color in the throw rug. The industry around home improvement is huge, the designers, the schools, the tv, the stores, books, internet, etc. I began to think about people who don't really have a home or have a really crappy home. They may a 1 room hut or less. Talk about designing for small spaces. Then those same small cramped dwellings may have a full extended family trying to live in it, with livestock running around under the house or through the house. Then I was thinking, you don't have to go too far to find people living like that. Have you seen how migrant farmers live? People in the Appalachia's? On Indian reservations? Hell, we have some apartment buildings in the Bay Area or rental houses that are pretty awful.

At some level, watching people rip apart someone's house because they have too much clutter or they chose some bland shade of white for the whole house is kind of disgusting. I mean, some people would love to live in that cluttered white shack because it is 100 times nicer than what they have.

Why am I just sitting here on a couch when these types of social inequities are occurring?

So, I kept watching HGTV and I then I started to get mad at the designers that bitch about tv's being the center of a room's attention. Hello?!?! How do you think people watch your show??

I then realized that my coffee had probably kicked in I should do some writing, emailing, etc.

BTW, I am trying to read "A Heartbreaking Work of Stagger Genius" and just can't even make it to the first chapter. I am still wading through the prologue. I need a new book to read. I hear "Wicked" is coming in paperback. Maybe I need to do some shopping.

No comments: