Tuesday, March 13, 2007

To Gym or Not to Gym

I recenly joined a gym because the husband was finally interested and we are a dual income family again. Also, my new job has a discount plan with a local gym and the daughter loved the kid zone in there.

So the other day I was soooooooooooo tired that I figured I would just lay down somewhere warm all day and do nothing. Of course, I know if I do that I will feel guilt for days afterwards over the wasted time and ALL the things I SHOULD have done and NEED to be done. It really is a vicious mental cycle I put myself through. I realized the mental guilt fest was starting and found whatever energy I could muster to go to that gym.

I found one last eliptical trainer not being used. I got on and in a half tired daze just starting moving. 10 minutes and I am still doing this so I start increasing the intensity. 20 minutes and I am starting to be amazed at myself for evening getting passed 10 minutes. 30 minutes and I thought I need to save some energy for the weight training.

So, I start working the muscles and realize how awesome it is to feel the strain of your muscles to lift heavy objects. In some strange way it is a release for me. I feel my strength. I am aware of how healthy I feel. I complete weight training and on to cool down.

I stretch out like a cat and enjoy the feeling of my muscles being pulled to new limits. A slow warm pain, but a good pain. When I release a stretch, my body says "Ah, that was perfect. Maybe one more?"

Then I head for the locker room to prepare for the reward that this whole workout has led to. . . a in the hot tub and some time in the dry sauna. Ahhhh, wonderful heat, forcing out the sweat and bad feelings in the body and my head. I love the sensation in the dry sauna of the water from the hot tub evaporating at the same time you are sweating.

Afterwards, I my face is red, hair is wet but I am happy. To gym today was a great thing.

1 comment:

Newt said...

I love eliptical machines they are fun and don't make you feel so much like you are working out like other machines do. But you get a great workout!