Friday, February 23, 2007

When did it happen!?!?!

I had a birthday recently and I have been wrapped up in memories. I find myself amazed at how time moves so fast. I don't feel as old as the years say. Sometimes I still feel like the 20-something who just finished college, single and just starting to make it in a career. Gosh, what happened to the years?!!?

I am falling asleep by 10pm. Waking up at 5:30am. I have a marriage, a mortgage, a daughter, 401(k) and constantly catch myself in conversations about retirement, potty training, public education and what happened on the Disney Channel today. The student loans are paid. Cars are paid off. I can't remember the last time I went to a happy hour or a night out dancing. I see wrinkles around the eyes and kinky grey hairs popping out of the top of my head.

I also realize that I have known some of my friends for 23 and 24 years now. That is a long time. Lots of people don't even stay married that long. Weren't those friends and I just dancing in the middle of the night to Erasure, Depeche Mode, OMD or New Order?!? We sit around and talk about how concert tickets are so expensive now and remember when you could see "Day on the Green" with the Pretenders and U2 for around $20?!? We talk about how all kinds of things are so expensive now. Some movies are now going straight to DVD and skipping VHS. No one goes to record stores anymore. We download from online stores. Thus, the closing of Tower Records.

My husband and I realized for the first time that we had seen all three of the animated films nominated for Oscar this year, but none of the movies up for Best Picture. He did although see "The Departed" while I was at the Doodlebops concert.



Then we look around and realize we sound like our parents! When did that happen?


Wow....what happened. And why am I so tired all the time??!

1 comment:

Newt said...

It's a little scarry when we realize we are our parents age.