Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Feeling antsy but going nowhere

These past few months I have these feelings that I need change. I am ready for something new. I feel like I am in a rut of a personal, social, creative and professional level . . . like my whole life. I am approaching my 40s, is it a mid-life crisis? Life is good in our little slice of suburbia. Everyone is healthy. We have solid jobs. Marriage is solid. But, I feel like I need some kind of change. It is the same old, tired, yet comfortable routine.
I keep thinking I need some new friends, but I haven't really had to make any in years. I don't even know how to go about it. I want to try new activities. I am sick of having free time and no one to spend it with. I am done with being fat. I feel like I am boring and socially repressed. What happened to the 20-something girl that would spin on the beach or stay up all hours? What happened to that sense of adventure that led to me parachute or ride off-road motorcycles? What about all those travel plans? How about just getting out and doing stuff all the time? Exploring our surroundings? Maybe I need a new tattoo?!

I look at the free-spirited, independent, socially exuberant daughter and realize I used to be like that too. Maybe that is the cause for the self-reflection? I see me in her and I realize I am not like that anymore. I am old, tired and stuck in a rut of comfortableness.

And despite all this, what do I do? Just the same routine. Walk the dog. Go to the gym. Clean the house. Yardwork. Shopping. Take the daughter to her activities. Watch tv. Read a couple books now and then. Read about the exciting lives of others. Do some craft or house projects. Yawn.
How do I pull myself out of this rut? Or, is it really a rut? Well, housework calls.

No comments: