Saturday, November 10, 2007

2 books in less than 5 days!?!?

Yeah, believe it or not I finished 2 books in less than a week. I think the last time I did something like that I was in my early 20s and that was awhile ago.

I finished "Eldest" by Paolini, his second book in the series. It was much better than his first and I think it was longer too. I enjoyed his descriptions of the elves, discussions on the various faiths and of course, the relationship with the dragons. What a wonderful piece of escapism. I finished it and got online to see when the final book in the series was coming out and found out two things. One, it is no longer a trilogy but is now called a "cycle" and will be 4 books long, not 3. Two, the third book won't be out until Septemner 2008. Yep, a whole freakin' year away!! Ugh.

So, I slept on that bit of news and started a little book I had picked up at the library last week. "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Sijie. What a surprising little book. It was a refreshing light read, that although was simple was still able to provide rich imagery of the events. I loved how it ended and loved the quote. It brought a smile to my face. It peaked my interested in the French auther, Balzac. Balzac was a prolific tortured writer, but I think I may try to read one of books if I can find it at the library. I also found that the author (Sijie) directed a movie version of his novel in 2002. I guess I am a smidge behind the times.

Now, I either need to attack the pile of nursing journals and texts from classes taken recently or try to find another book to read. I do have this one book that I still can't seem to finish. I am still mired in the foreword, that I stupidly thought I should read. The book, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."

I think I'll try the nursing journals. :)

1 comment:

Newt said...

A heartbreaking work took a while to read and I wasn't sure if I was glad I got through it or not. It was one of those, eh....sorts of books for me.